What is a Small Employer Certificate of Recognition or SECOR and could it help my company grow?
At Safety Evolution, we get many people contacting us about becoming SECOR certified. The typical phone call we receive sounds a lot like this: “I’ve got an opportunity for a contract, but the organization asked if we had SECOR. I’ve done some reading on it, but I don’t quite understand how I get it. Can you give me SECOR?”
Here are some answers that will help you through the process.
If you are looking for information on what is cor? Check out our blog post on What is a Certificate of Recognition? How can COR help my company? Our guide will help you with cor certification.
What Is SECOR?
SECOR is an acronym that stands for Small Employer Certificate of Recognition. To qualify for SECOR, you must have less than the specified number of employees based on your provincial guidelines. As an example, in Alberta, if you have less than 10 employees you can qualify for SECOR. SECOR is awarded to employers who have developed and successfully implemented a health and safety program that meets specific provincial standards. That’s right…implemented is the keyword here. You can have an outstanding health and safety manual, but if you never use it, or do not follow the program you will not achieve and maintain SECOR.
Why Should You Get SECOR For Your Workplace?
There are many reasons why employers want to get their company SECOR, but typically what we hear are:
- We are expanding and want to improve our programs and lower our WCB rates.
- I am required to have SECOR to bid on a project.
- I have been offered a contract, but I am required to have SECOR.
SECOR for your business is not a requirement, however, it is becoming much more prevalent for larger organizations, municipalities, etc. to require a company to have achieved SECOR to qualify for the bidding process. SECOR shows that a company takes the health and well-being of their workers seriously.
Benefits To Achieving & Maintaining A Small Employer Certificate of Recognition For Your Workplace
Shows potential employees that you take their health and safety seriously, want to put the systems in place and provide them with the tools to go home safe every day.
Reduction in Incident Rates
With a complete health and safety management system in place, you will have the tools to ensure your employees are properly trained to conduct the tasks that you require.
Improved Worker Productivity
A safe and happy employee that has the tools and training to complete their work means jobs get done on time and right the first time, without having to worry about rework.
Lower WCB Premiums
As you grow your business, WCB premiums can be quite expensive. As a member of an industry partner and holder of your certificate of recognition, you can qualify for up to a 40% discount on your WCB premiums (dependent on the province).
How Do I Become SECOR Certified?
Achieving your SECOR can seem like a daunting task. However, this can really be simplified following these easy steps:
- Have a health and safety program
- Implement this health and safety program including:
- Equipment inspections, site inspections, office inspections
- Fire extinguisher inspections
- Employee training and competency verification
- Completion of hazard assessment recognition such as field-level hazard assessments and control for your work
- Having and testing an emergency response plan (ERP)
- Incident investigations and corrective actions in areas where improvements are required
- Safety Meetings such as toolbox talks and monthly health and safety meetings
- Management taking part in all aspects of the health and safety program
This list is not inclusive of all items required
- Having a WCB account for your company
- Becoming a member of an injury reduction group or certifying partner
- Apply for your SECOR/SECOR for your organization.
- Follow the steps outlined in the application to achieve your SECOR
- Complete the application
- Complete the necessary training
- Submit the required documents or set up the audit when applicable
Start Here: Free Safety Manual Template Download
We can help you out with the first challenge by providing you with a Safety Manual Template that will save you hours of work. You can customize the manual to your company's needs by reviewing it and updating the content to reflect your operations.
Sign up to receive our weekly newsletter with helpful safety content below!